FORUMS Menu

Home Forums Music Mental Health in the music industry

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jules Jules 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

One of my cients is a record label.

At lunch one day they told me there had been a mental health survey just of people in the music industry.

The results showed that over 60% of them have or have had some sort of mental health issue.

I think this is a fair bit higher than the national average.

I wondered why this stat is so high.

I don’t personally work directly in the music industry.  Neither do I play an instrument or sing (except around the flat singing very badly or even in the street or on the bus after a few bevvies).  So I’m interested in hearing from people who do have direct experience in this industry and what they think the factors are effecting mental health.

Is it a pretty tough industry to be in?

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

Yes, did they have issues before they entered the industry or after?

A large number of people who have mental illness tend to enter the arts. I can see you’d gain solace from it, but the music industry is pretty rough place to be. We’ve seen the demise of some incredibly talented people due to their mental not physical health.

I cant answer your question, I’m neither talented musically or in the industry.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

It’s a good point Jules. Chicken and egg.

We do turn to the arts in times of trouble don’t we?  Music helps me when i listen to it…. and i find dancing to music often helps relieves mental tension and stress levels………

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

Better than eating too much.

Pretty healthy stress reliever.

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

It’s therapeutic, that’s for sure.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.