FORUMS Menu

Home Forums Environment Is national self sufficiency the solution?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jules Jules 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

It seems that the ever increasing globalisation of markets currently necessitates the increasie in carbon emissions which contribute to climate change.

So would it be better if countries were more self sufficient where possible and reasonable?  Then we wouldn’t emit so much CO2 into the atmosphere via importing and exporting goods.  Not to mention the exploitation of single countries’ resources on a huge massive scale, like we see in the instance of the desctruction of rain forests for palm oil, and consequently the destruction of wildlife habitat.  It seems it’s too much pressure on single resources on a global scale.

Why not grow alternatives to palm oil here in the UK?

It seems backward, to import stuff from other countries, when we could be producing it here in the UK.

And just think how much more diverse our countries would be in terms of industries and jobs, especially if we operated on as local a scale as possible.

Also if China were to go more self sufficient instead of becoming the manufacturing centre of the world, and produced  for themselves instead, then surely their carbon emissions would come down yes?  Even though some maybe surprised to know that here in the UK we emit DOUBLE carbon emission per person, than China does.

I just think that we should work with nature instead of against it.  If producing more carbon emissions contributes to climate change, which in turn effects the weather resulting in adverse consequences for it’s inhabitants, i.e. wildlife and humans, then perhaps we should take lessons from mother nature herself, instead of disrespecting her, let her breath, and we will reap the benefits.

i also believe that diverse localised industries would be healthier for our own mental states. Isn’t it a fact that variety is somehow mentally healthier for us than same old same old types of things everywhere??  a bit of farmland in london anyone?  publishing houses up North anyone?  factories using renewable energy dotted about that students could work in anyone?

Although i was of this thinking many years ago now, i found a piece by Keynes along my travels, and he’s bascially saying same thing.  Here’s the paper http://jmaynardkeynes.ucc.ie/national-self-sufficiency.html

Keen to hear others’ thoughts on this if anyone would like to share?

richyrich
    richyrich
    Participant

i do think theres too much reliance on imports, do we need to fly flowers in from africa every day? and packets of beans ? but somethings we would need to import like iron ore, but joe public are such child like morons they wouldnt satnd for having to ‘go without’ thats why poloticvians wont make these green decisions cos they will get voted out by people who want everything now.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

we can grow our own flowers, nobody has to go without!

richyrich
    richyrich
    Participant

i think to be frank, the answer is to improve technology to make transport less polluting. if we are actualy going to achieve a goal of stopping environmental degradation. they say that glottalization has lifted millions of third world poor out of poverty. i dont have any verification for this at hand but its worth concideration before rolling back globalisation.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

i get your point richyrich. however it won’t solve the palm oil issue.

nor the undercutting of poor local farmers in less developed countries, by big global giants.

the global economy doesn’t seem right. the fact that when one country crashes, a load more are dragged down with it….. the fact that there is this kind of domino effect, seems a bit fragile to me.

i wonder that if we were less interdependent on an international scale, if economies might be more stable.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

Also , globalisation may have lifted many out of poverty. but not everyone.

whilst it may’ve helped many…… we still wait to see if it will help all.

And, even if it’s been best thing since sliced brread for many, there is always room for improvement. that’s what i say.

many people in the uk probs think we got it soooo good in this country.  well, maybe, but mental health grief is on the rise still, so summat unhealthy going on. all i can say is fight the good fight and always look to improve things.  and we have to consider knock on effect on other countries.  Eg. we wouldnt suddenly pull out of buying from china. rome wasn’t built in a day. and it would be unfair to suddenly pull the rug from peoples’ feet.

all within fairness and reason.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

And, how would all this happen? well, this links back to my post on the politics forum. i.e. the government would use the peoples’ taxes to build self sufficiency industry and services in the UK and lead by example, thereby competing with the corps.  here is the post https://ukcalls.co.uk/forums/topic/my-thoughts-on-a-way-forward/

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

Brexit might teach us to be self sufficient.

JoanOfArc
      JoanOfArc
      Participant
      London

Jules…. yesssss…. this is what i’ve been thinking too

however, adversely, it might make us import and export even further afield more

maybe a mixture of the two

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

Yes, depending on how cheaply we can do that. It could be good for developing countries if we trade with them. Back to my dilemma of fair trade vs the environment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.