FORUMS Menu

Home Forums Social issues Housing

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by SallyD SallyD 8 months ago.

• Author
    Jules
    Jules
    Participant

I have a lot of admiration for Owen Jones and the work he does to promote the left. Today, I must criticise his article. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/28/mp-council-housing-labour-mp-kate-osamor-social-tenant
    He lives life through rose coloured spectacles if he thinks that some council estates aren’t ghettoised. There are a lot of social problems, especially in the most deprived areas. It is awful that there is a stigma around them, but it’s a fact.

As for MPs living in a council house, it’s against the law. They are for people on restricted incomes and limited means. That an MP is not. My previous MP used to live on a council estate, privately owned though. He wanted to live amongst his constituents. Actually my current MP does the same. So yes, there’s a case for living amongst their constituents. It works for them. MPs are pretty wealthy though and should not be taking up much needed housing.

What are your thoughts on this? I’m sure I could write an entire essay on it…

rebel_reddevil
    rebel_reddevil
    Participant
    WARRINGTON

Pretty certain its not against the law for MP’s to live in council housing.

Council houses are allocated on the basis of need (where they still exist) for sure but people don’t get kicked out if their financial situation improves. In fact, thanks to Thatcher, they can buy their council house, thus removing it from the social housing market altogether. And of course councils no longer have the funds to build more….

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

I meant to move in to Council houses. They earn too much.

rebel_reddevil
    rebel_reddevil
    Participant
    WARRINGTON

Did she move in though? Or simply not move out when she was elected?

Yeah I think it goes against the tenet of social housing, although being an MP isn’t a job for life. However much some MP’s seem to think it is

SallyD
    SallyD
    Participant

When did we get to the place of council housing being ‘for people of limited income’?  I know that that is the perception now, but I sort of blinked and missed the change happening.  I grew up with the notion that council housing was for ‘ordinary people.’  And do we not want (at least some of) our MPs to be ‘ordinary people’?  I do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.