FORUMS Menu

Home Forums Social issues Divorce

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by JoanOfArc JoanOfArc 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Jules
    Jules
    Participant

i entered into discussion with Peter Hitchens on this.  Surprisingly, he engaged with me.

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2018/11/broken-promises-mean-the-death-of-trust-1.html

His views are from the ark and based on religion. We completely disagreed, especially around children. Divorce can have better outcomes for some families, especially in the case of abusive relationships and toxic relationships. I advocated mediation, he wouldn’t have it. Then, someone else laid into me on the subject.

What are people’s views on this?

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

Apparently mediation is virtue signalling. Wow!

Jackie
    Jackie
    Participant
    Newton Abbot

Devon

My views agree with your views here, but I can’t find your posts in the article comments to agree with those as well. I found his opinions quite shocking tbh.

He says ‘no church and no rational legal system can encourage people in promise breaking on that level’ seriously? The church or legal system would rather a person who has discovered their spouse is an abuser or serial adulterer remain married to such a spouse so as not to break a promise? I think not, but I don’t ‘do’ religion and can only speculate. This comment prompted thoughts of survivors of domestic violence being harassed and pursued for reasons of the ‘you’re still my wife/husband’ variety.

To me his views are just wrong on so many levels. There are a lot of reasons people might get divorced, wanting to marry someone else doesn’t figure in most of them. Yes they could just separate, but a divorce is closure.

Jules
    Jules
    Participant

It was on Twitter. He responds on there.

I addressed abuse, he didn’t respond and didn’t respond To anybody else’s comments on abusive relationships.

JoanOfArc
    JoanOfArc
    Participant
    London

Well, if hopefully you’ve got to know your partner well enough to be able to promise to stick by them til death do us part, i think you can still do that if you get divorced.

i mean you can still love and support someone, just because you might choose to be wtih someone else later on, doesn’t mean you won’t love and support your original husband or wife.

so to compromise maybe just promise to be there for that person. even if you end up marrying someone else.

i think that’s quite reasonable really.

if it’s true love you will anyway. true love never goes away. never ever.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.